This Crochet Donkey Lovey pattern is made from a combination of my granny square pattern and Amigurumi Today’s crochet zebra pattern.
This Crochet Donkey Lovey is quick and easy make. It uses fingering weight yarn which makes for a light, airy and detailed crochet piece suitable for babies of all ages.
It uses 3mm crochet hook for the main body. The head and all it’s attachments are made using a 2.5mm crochet hook. Overall, the pattern uses easy, simple stitches enabling you to make this lovely lovey!
Get this Crochet Donkey Lovey Pattern
- Pattern: Keep scrolling for the FREE version of this crochet pattern
- Keep track of this project by adding it to your Ravelry Queue
- Sharing is Caring: Pin this post for later
Crochet Donkey Lovey. Save for Later!
Crochet Donkey Lovey Pattern
Skill level: Advanced beginner
Final measurements: The Crochet Donkey Lovey is 12 inches long
- Fingering weight yarn in black, dark grey and light grey
- Darning needle
- 2.5mm and 3mm crochet hook
- Toy stuffing
Stitches and terms used:
- Ch= chain
- Sl st= slip stitch
- Sc= single crochet
- Dc= double crochet
- Rpt = repeat
- St(s)= stitch(es)
- Sp(s)= space(s)
- Inc= increase: 2 sc in the same space
- Dec= decrease: single crochet two together
Yarn alternatives: Any superfine (fingering, baby or sock weight) yarn, #1 or 4 ply yarn
- Read through the pattern before starting your work just to be sure you don’t have any questions that might cause frustration while working on the project.
- This pattern is written in US crochet terms.
- You can make the Crochet Donkey Lovey with forelegs or without.
Use this pattern and a 2.5mm crochet hook for the head.
Rnd 1- 11: Use light grey yarn
Rnd 12-33: Use dark grey yarn
2. Ears (make 2)
Use this pattern and a 2.5 mm crochet hook for the ears.
Rnd 1-4: Use light grey yarn
Rnd 5-9: Use dark grey yarn
Use this pattern, black yarn and 2.5 mm crochet hook for the mane. Once complete, attach all the pieces as shown in the same pattern.
Use this pattern, black and dark grey yarn and 2.5 mm crochet hook for the forelegs.
Rnd 1-5: Use black yarn
Rnd 6-25: Use dark grey yarn
The body is made using the classic granny square pattern and a 3mm crochet hook
Rnd 1-12: Use dark grey yarn
Rnd 13-16: Use light grey yarn
Rnd 17: In light grey yarn, sc in each st across working (sc, ch 2, sc) in each of the 4 corner spaces. Fasten off yarn.
Rnd 18: In dark grey yarn, rpt Row 17
Rnd 19: In black yarn, rpt Row 17
At this point, your granny square should measure around 11.5 inches. Attach the head to the body. You will do this by sewing the bottom section of the head around the first row of your granny square and the forelegs to the sides.
Once that is done, embroider the eyes and nose on the head. Now you have a lovely Crochet Donkey Lovey.