This Tunisian Crochet Basketweave Square blooms with delicate textures created by alternating groups of tunisian knit and tunisian purl stitches. The finished squared square is squishy, soft with a really dense fabric. It’s rich in its simplicity perfect for coordinating with other squares, or as a lone motif.
This post may contain affiliate links. This means that when certain links are clicked on and a purchase is made, I may earn a small commission. Please read the disclosure policy for more information.
Charity Fall Cozy MAL 2022
The Tunisian Crochet Basketweave Square is my fourth square designed especially for the 2022 Charity Fall Cozy MAL organized by Noorian of Noor’s Knits and Hortense of Knitting With Chopsticks. The event will run from October 3rd- 28th, 2022 and a portion of proceeds from the bundle sales will be donated to Cure Childhood Cancer.
Every weekday a new 8 inch square Fall-themed FREE knit, crochet AND Tunisian crochet square (the trifecta) by a different designer will be shared. Completed squares and blankets can be donated to a charity from the list provided.
The Cozy Fall Tunisian Crochet Pattern Bundle contains all 20 Tunisian crochet blanket square patterns of the MAL. 30% of every bundle purchase will be donated to the charity.
If you prefer regular crochet then you can also grab the Cozy Fall Crochet Blanket Square bundle or as a knitter, the Cozy Fall Knit Pattern Bundle. OR even save extra by grabbing the MAL Trifecta (20 knit, 20 crochet and 20 Tunisian crochet blanket square patterns) Bundle.
Tunisian Crochet Basketweave Square
We’re on the last week of the MAL. After making all of your Fall and harvest-themed squares like Adoyo, Pumpkin Spice and Dew Drop, a basket seems necessary thus the Tunisian Crochet Basketweave square. As a placement suggestion, you can try placing it at the very bottom of your blanket at either corners.
Skill Level: Beginner
- 7 mm Tunisian crochet hook
- 40 yards of worsted weight yarn
- Blocking board and pins (optional)
- Darning needle
Stitches and terms used:
- Ch= chain
- St(s)= stitch(es)
- Tss= Tunisian simple stitch
- Tks= Tunisian knit stitch
- Tps= Tunisian purl stitch
- Rpt= repeat
- “= inches
- Lts= last Tunisian stitch: Insert your hook under both loops of the last st on the forward pass and complete as for Tss
- RetP= return pass: Ch 1, (yarn over, pull through 2 loops) repeat across
Gauge: 6 sts & 6 rows in tss = 2” x 2”
Size: Using the materials and instructions, final measurements of the Tunisian Basketweave Crochet Square is 8” by 8” after blocking
Yarn alternatives: Any worsted weight, size #4, 10 ply weight yarn
- Read through the pattern before starting your work just to be sure you don’t have any questions that might cause frustration while working on the project.
- This is a Tunisian crochet pattern.
- Repeating sections within the rounds are shown in round () brackets followed by the number of times they are repeated e.g. (Tks) 6 times means the sequence in the brackets must be repeated a total of 6 times.
- This piece is a square thus the stitch total stays the same.
- Bind off row is worked as in st pattern. This means that you will insert your hook as if to work a normal tks or tps but bind off using sl sts instead.
- The chart attached below is for pattern reference. You can print it out to add your own Pumpkin Spice Tunisian crochet square colour preferences.
- You can choose to either work with a straight or a corded tunisian hook. Both work fine for this pattern.
Row 1: With your yarn and 7 mm tunisian crochet hook, Ch 24. Pull up a loop in the back bump of the 2nd ch from hook and in each ch across the row. RetP
Row 2-6: (Tks) 5 times, (Tps) 6 times, (Tks) 6 times, (Tps) 5 times, Lts. RetP
Row 7-12: (Tps) 5 times, (Tks) 6 times, (Tps) 6 times, (Tks) 5 times, Lts. RetP
Get the Tunisian Crochet Basketweave Square
Pattern: continue scrolling for the FREE version of this crochet pattern or purchase the ad-free PDF
Keep track of this project by adding it to your Ravelry Queue
Sharing is Caring: Pin this post for later
Row 13-18: (Tks) 5 times, (Tps) 6 times, (Tks) 6 times, (Tps) 5 times, Lts. RetP
Row 19-23: (Tps) 5 times, (Tks) 6 times, (Tps) 6 times, (Tks) 5 times, Lts. RetP
Row 24: Bind using sl sts. Fasten off and weave in your ends.
I really hope you enjoyed this pattern! I can’t wait to see the squares you work up so please don’t forget to tag @morines_shop on Instagram