This crochet gift box amigurumi is such a cute project and works up really fast too. The pattern is quite straight forward and uses simple crochet stitches. It’s perfect for all seasons and with Christmas coming up, all you need is to add a little string at the corner and it becomes the perfect Christmas ornament!
This post may contain affiliate links. This means that when certain links are clicked on and a purchase is made, I may earn a small commission. Please read the disclosure policy for more information.
This post may contain affiliate links. This means that when certain links are clicked on and a purchase is made, we may earn a small commission. Please read our disclosure policy for more information.
Crochet Gift Box Amigurumi
Skill Level: Beginner
- Approximately 50 yards DK weight yarn (I used Stylecraft Special DK)
- 3 mm crochet hook
- 20 inch piece of chunky yarn, jute string or ribbon
- Darning needle
- Small bead for strap (optional)
- 1 rattle insert (optional)
Stitches and terms used:
- Rnd= round
- Ch= chain
- St(s)= stitch(es)
- Sl st= slip stitch
- Sc= single crochet
- Blo= back loop only
- Sc2tog= single crochet 2 sts together
- Sc3tog= single crochet 3 sts together
Yarn alternatives: Any DK weight, light worsted or 8 ply yarn should be suitable for this design.
Gauge: 20 sts x 28 rows in sc = 4”
Size: This Crochet Gift Box is an approximately 1.25” cube. You adjust the size by either going up or down a hook size or yarn weight.
- Read through the pattern before starting your work just to be sure you don’t have any questions that might cause frustration while working on the project.
- This pattern is written in US terms. For a conversion into UK terms, get my free eBook with the conversion charts here.
- Gauge though included for your reference, isn’t crucial.
- The pattern is worked from bottom up in continuous rounds into the st as normal (unless otherwise stated).
- This pattern starts with a magic ring. For a detailed tutorial on how to work and secure the magic ring, read through my blog post on the same.
Rnd 1: In your magic circle, ch 1 & work 8 sc (8sc)
Rnd 2: (3 sc in next st, sc in next) 4 times. (16 sts)
Rnd 3: sc in 1st st. (3 sc in next st, sc in each of the next 3 sts) 3 times. 3 sc in next st. Sc in each of the last 2 sts (24 sts)
Rnd 4: sc in the next 2 sts. (3 sc in next st, sc in each of the next 5 sts) 3 times. 3 sc in next st. Sc in each of the last 3 sts (32 sts)
Rnd 5: In blo, sc in each st across (32 sts)
Rnd 6-11: sc in each st across ( 32 sts)
Rnd 12: In blo, sc in each of the next 2 sts. (Sc3tog, sc in each of the next 5 sts) 3 times. Sc3tog. Sc in each of the last 3 sts (24 sts)
Rnd 13: Sc in next st. (Sc3tog, sc in each of the next 3 sts) 3 times. Sc3tog. Sc in each of the last st (16 sts)
- At this point, lightly stuff your box. Don’t stuff too much as we want it to retain a cube shape.
- Insert rattle (optional)
Rnd 14: ( sc2tog) 8 times (8 sts)
Fasten off leaving a 6” tail for sewing the top closed.
Crochet gift box finishing:
- Thread your 6” tail into your darning needle.
- Pass the needle back and forth through the front loops of the sts from Rnd 14 (8 sts total)
- Pull the yarn to close off the hole. Secure it and clip off the excess yarn.
- You now have a nice box, but not quite done yet. Take your 20 inch piece of chunky yarn and tie the box as you would a gift.
- Add and secure your beads at the end of your string (optional)
Did you enjoy learning how to crochet a gift box amigurumi? I’d love to see your creations using this tutorial! Please share your projects with me on Instagram.